Wednesday 7 March 2007

Intolerance

What a difference a few days without snow makes. That and high temps. Since the big dump, Rob Dan and I have crammed a lot in (Cat Skiing, avalanche course) so when the slush came it was a welcome respite. So here's my first non-boarding post.

Monday was a complete day of rest, I only left the Hostel to get Coke. The afternoon dragged on with only Red Dragon on the telly and a Pacman tournament to pass the time.

I played a Scottish man called Stuart in my first match. After my last life went, he had to find 5k points to beat me... "Come on Stuart, 5k points to get or it's Falkirk all over again" High brow sledging eh?

My next match was against a Dane called Anders. I couldn't think of anything amusing to say, and besides he beat me by thousands of points.

Dan pulled some amazing Pacman moves out of the bag to come away with the first Mountain Shadow Hostel pacman title. Here's a video of the event:

The title of this blog is about me becoming a grumpy old man before my time. There's something a bit too 'yo' and 'Shoreditch' about people who board for long periods. I was on a lift with a kiwi and a yank the other day and they bored the crap out of me. People just cannot talk about anything but "fresh lines" and "sick tweaked methods" etc etc. It's beginning to get to me!

Also, they have no common sense AT ALL. These are the sort of fuzzy-thinking types that leave their shoes in the doorway and their dishes on the side thinking that mummy will sort it out.

Then there are ski teams who turn up and, before I've eaten anything in the morning, start prancing around in skin tight black leggings like it's reasonable. I even saw one walk into a cafe across the street wearing said leggings, grey knee-high socks and sandals.

Anyway, I'm sure there's some twat from Chipping Norton, complaining on his blog about the grumpy git in his hostel with sideburns. Slowly adding to the tedious scrollable HTML that makes up the internet. As Rob has just pointed out, we are fully immersed in the blogosphere and there's no getting out!

Nathan

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Stop whining and go and get drunk you big bernard!

Loving the video and Roughty Pufty's ghey-boy trophy hahahaha

Unknown said...

"Hell is other people". Purgatory is other snowboarders.

Be thankful you've not got the hi viz / plaid 'Yo Bros' that clutter up other resorts.

When I see yours & Dan's pictues I wish I could be doing what you're doing. But then I'm reminded that a main reason for staying in London doing a job that is pretty good (but not brilliant) - rather than one that allows me to be next to the ocean or the bottom of a mountain - is to be amongst the diverse, interesting and diverse culture that collects in cities.

Ski resorts can be pretty small towns. Without the mountain and the diverse people it attracts, a lot of locals (and saisonaires for that matter) would just be rednecks.

It's interesting to note that you've only expressed this thought when you've taken a break from riding. Get back up the hill and stop whining!