Friday 2 March 2007

We've had a big dump, and everyone is happy!

I was going to write yesterday, about how I've had the most amazing day in my short snowboarding career on Wednesday. It snowed 17cms, the like of which I've never seen before.

But then this morning, I woke bleary eyed and checked the red resort web site and it said 25 cms had fallen overnight. So, today was officially the best day I've ever had on snow.

I was only 30 people back from the first lift (Grandad Shred was first of course). First run was amazing. The powder was shoe deep on the pistes, and for most of the time through Powderfields, I could feel the snow pushing past my thighs as I rode. I'm trying to think of a way of describing it for people who don't board / ski. It's really hard. Imagine riding Marty McFly's hover board through Endor in the winter..

There, perfect. Now I've described it so that only film geeks understand me.

I spent the morning riding one of my favourite runs called Stu's Run. There's a great jump halfway down onto steep terrain that allows you to get really high and far, yet not hurt yourself (especially with thigh deep powder). I was the first person to jump off it today, and for the first time I landed it properly, riding of without even looking back.

At lunch I met up with Rob, and we spent the afternoon laughing like hyenas. Rob pulled off a particularly excellent jump, which he landed on his backside. Luckily for him he landed in waist deep powder. It must have been like launching himself off the sofa to land in a huge bean bag.

The only negative of the day was our third muskateer, Dan couldn't ride. He lost an argument with a tree yesterday and wanted to rest for our Cat skiing tomorrow. Did I mention that we're Cat skiing tomorrow? They 'phoned and told us to bring snorkels....

Again, no photos this time. Rule #4 No cameras on a powder day.

Tricks landed: Indy air, wheelie
Tricks failed: 180 backside air
Soundtrack: Foo Fighters - Skin and Bone, Buena Vista Social Club, Doves - The Last Broadcast

No comments: