Tuesday 27 February 2007

Rule 3

Okay, I found out today that there's another rule to powder days.

Before I start this, let me just confirm that I haven't broken anything, lost any teeth or hit a funny bone in my head causing partial paralysis, like Amans once did.

I have learnt the 3rd rule: "Always check your landings before flying off jumps"

Another 10-15 cms fell last night, so it was another amazing day at Red. Our first run was down powderfields, a very nice warm up that lived up to it's name:

first tracks

Our second run down Short Squaw, was also magical. Steep bowls of deep snow opened out before us after a short tree run, then it levelled out through some more trees. In the second set, I decided to try and carry a little more speed through the trees, as I'd been stopping too often.

Everything was going swimmingly, and a nice approach to a lip opened out before me. After the jump would be more powder to land in, and no trees nearby (or so I thought at the time).

So, below is my approach. Looks good doesn't it?
Appr

As I left the ground, at some speed now, I just had time for a short expletive as I looked down and saw this:
Trunk

Luckily for me, I happened to be absolutely lined up the the trunk. Six inches either side and I would have been in trouble. I hit the trunk in an unintentional 50-50 (where the board and the trunk are lined up), and proceeded to crash in the show.

To give you some perspective, I can stand up straight underneath the end of that log.

I thought is was so funny, that I rode back round and did the same run again. This time I did it a little slower, and took the camera.

Today's soundtrack was (chosen by the iPod) was:

Led Zeppelin, Flexistentialism, Depeche Mode.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hang on a minute, that arrow pointed towards... Lots of trees! Emm... Not sure that's my idea of prickly fun :)