Friday 9 February 2007

How can I be expected to handle school, on a day like this?

Today was another snotty snow day, so I decided to try and learn to ride switch. for those of you not familiar, imagine trying to learn how to play squash with your left hand. No, with your left foot.

The hill was full because of a school trip. Beats the Natural History museum! Since I was going to be surrounded by hundreds of learner kids, I thought it would be the best time to try riding the wrong way.

It was pretty frustrating to say the least, and I had to put my iPod on loud, to drown out the jeers and laughter! I'd forgotten how hard it is to ride slowly, and what it feels like to slam into a hard piste.... I must have looked like the most extreme "all the gear, no idea" with my helmet, heli-pack etc. I did pull off the longest wheelie though!

On a lift with one of the schoolchildren (a girl of about 7/8) there was one of those "from the mouths of children...." moments. She just turned around and said:

"Snowboarding's cool, eh?"

I had to bite my lip to avoid saying: "Too fucking right!"

She made me feel better about being a newbie again.

here are some 'atmospheric' photos from the spot that I hitch back from the hill.


hitch point 2
Hitch point 1

I'm probably going to try my hand at curling this evening, and I'm rather excited at the prospect of using the brush....

It's nice to see that 3-4cms of snow has crippled the UK's transport system again! I've decided about my fantasy garage if I lived in the mountains:

Panda 100hp
Mustang
F350 truck. the biggest one they do with the most enormous engine possible.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Re: the truck. You need a jacked-up, crew cab dually (twin tyres on the rear axle) with the V10 Triton Diesel - basically enough to pull the Titanic out from the depths of the North Atlantic up a slippery 45 degree slope. Oh yeah, and don't forget the gun-rack, bull-bars and winch!