Friday 23 February 2007

The Ramblers

Today was amazing. There's been some snow overnight, and since we now have the right equipment to go "off road" we decided to hike to Mount Roberts.

From the top of the motherlode chair, it's a quick ride down to the boundary where you start walking. Start elevation was 1620mtrs, the peak of Roberts is 1920, it's probably only 3-4 kilometres, Computer says 2.5 km as the crow flies.

For all you Google Earth fans 49 05' 12.72" N 117 51' 30.07" W is the peak of Roberts.

It's a fairly hard 45min hike along a trail of boot-packed snow. By the time you get the top you're sweating like a fat lass in a cake shop, and it feels like you've done 200 burpees. It made the half marathon I did seem easy.

After lunch on the summit, we ran down towards one of the chair lifts, getting some amazing powder and tree riding. Half way down there's a brilliant jump, onto a soft steep landing. I hit it and got the most air I've ever experienced. It felt like I was airborn for 3/4 seconds and was 4 metres off the ground! On the first run (we hiked to Roberts twice!) I landed fairly gracefully. The second time around I rag-dolled down the hill until a tree stopped me. Independent witness from Rob on the second jump confirmed about 6 feet altitude and 8-12 feet distance. Awesome.

Unfortunately, I forgot to replace the card in the camera so no action shots. Check Dan's Flickr account, he had his camera with him.


Oh, by the way the Merv Hughes has gone. It was fun while it lasted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Unknown said...

Sounds like an epic day. You are bastards! Hike one for me.